From the housing market to CPP reform, we scoured the headlines for the year’s biggest stories and how they affect your bottom line.
From the housing market to CPP reform, we scoured the headlines for the year’s biggest stories and how they affect your bottom line.
The NHL on Thursday cleared Dale Tallon of any wrongdoing after an independent investigation found it could not substantiate claims he made inappropriate racial, religious and ethnic comments as general manager of the Florida Panthers. The league received an anonymous report in August of Tallon using racially derogatory language while in the Toronto playoff bubble and had in the past made openly racial, religious and ethnic comments. That day, it hired Seyfarth Shaw LLP to conduct an investigation and said among other steps the law firm interviewed more than a dozen Panthers employees and reviewed all information about the case. The NHL said that investigation showed the allegations were "neither corroborated nor substantiated and are inconsistent with Tallon’s past actions and his affirmative efforts in support of diversity and inclusion initiatives.” After Akim Aliu last year said he was the victim of racist comments from coach Bill Peters during their time together in the minors, the NHL took steps to improve the reporting of such instances. That included a way for players, coaches and other staff to anonymously report behaviour that would go against league policy and protocols. The NHL found Tallon did not violate any of those. Florida moved on from Tallon after 10 years following its loss in the qualifying round of the expanded Stanley Cup playoffs. The team hired longtime agent-turned Columbus Blue Jackets assistant GM as Tallon's replacement. The Panthers also did not retain assistant coach Mike Kitchen, following a report he kicked a player on the bench during a game last season. Kitchen, 64, opted out of the playoffs, and deputy commissioner Bill Daly said late last month the team investigated that situation internally and came to its own decision without league intervention. Tallon has been linked to a possible job in the Pittsburgh Penguins front office after they fired assistant GM Jason Karmanos this week. Tallon did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on the NHL's investigation. ___ For more AP NHL coverage: https://apnews.com/NHL and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Stephen Whyno, The Associated Press
Hairdressers across France struggled to keep up with the constant stream of clients on Thursday, their last day of opening before a new lockdown goes into effect which will see them forced to close until Dec. 1. The new lockdown, intended to curb surging corona virus infections in France, entails the closure of bars, restaurants and other businesses open to the public, such as barber shops and hair salons, from Oct. 30, President Emmanuel Macron announced on Wednesday. At the Tchip salon in the northern French city of Cambrai, hairdressers were squeezing in as many appointments as possible due to the sudden demand, hairdresser Cathy Duhautbois told Reuters.
REACT survey suggests there are almost 100,000 daily coronavirus infections in England – significantly more than reported.
Exxon Mobil Corp was once the largest U.S. publicly traded company by market value in the United States. It has been a difficult year for Exxon. The company on Thursday announced 14,000 job cuts due to weak demand stemming from the pandemic .
Colony Capital to Present at Nareit’s REITworld: 2020 Virtual Annual Conference
The latest numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Canada as of 1:55 p.m. EDT on Oct. 29, 2020: There are 227,743 confirmed cases in Canada. _ Quebec: 103,844 confirmed (including 6,214 deaths, 88,442 resolved) _ Ontario: 73,819 confirmed (including 3,118 deaths, 63,123 resolved) _ Alberta: 26,565 confirmed (including 313 deaths, 21,459 resolved) _ British Columbia: 13,875 confirmed (including 261 deaths, 11,244 resolved) _ Manitoba: 4,894 confirmed (including 62 deaths, 2,423 resolved) _ Saskatchewan: 2,908 confirmed (including 25 deaths, 2,217 resolved) _ Nova Scotia: 1,102 confirmed (including 65 deaths, 1,033 resolved) _ New Brunswick: 337 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 284 resolved) _ Newfoundland and Labrador: 291 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 282 resolved) _ Prince Edward Island: 64 confirmed (including 63 resolved) _ Yukon: 22 confirmed (including 17 resolved) _ Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed (including 13 resolved) _ Northwest Territories: 9 confirmed (including 8 resolved) _ Nunavut: No confirmed cases _ Total: 227,743 (0 presumptive, 227,743 confirmed including 10,068 deaths, 190,608 resolved) This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 29, 2020. The Canadian Press
A 21-year-old Californian who once earned a U.S. Open berth by winning the U.S. Tennis Association’s national girls’ championship was given a four-year doping ban after testing positive at a tournament. Ashley Kratzer’s punishment was announced by the International Tennis Federation on Thursday. Kratzer was provisionally suspended in March for her test result at a WTA event in Newport Beach, California, in January.
Nautilus Insurance Group, a Berkley Company, announced the appointment of Thomas Joyce as President of Nautilus Insurance Group. He is succeeding Tom Kuzma, who has been named Chairman. These changes will take effect January 1, 2021.
KAWARTHA LAKES: The City of Kawartha Lakes expects to have a larger winter population this year, due to a number of people not flying to the United States because of the COVID-19 pandemic during their winter holidays . At a meeting on Tuesday, October 20th, during a pandemic update, CAO Ron Taylor said, one thing the city will be monitoring is the number of seasonal residents who stay in the community this year. “We have about 25,000 seasonal residents. I suspect a large portion of those will be remaining in our community over the winter. So, that is a 25 percent increase in our overall population,” CAO Taylor explained. Mayor Andy Letham has heard from a number of snowbirds who plan to stay in the municipality this winter. During a telephone press conference, on Wednesday, October 21st, the Mayor explained, “I’m hearing, a lot of snowbirds will be staying this year. I’m hearing, a few are still planning to go down south, but from what I’m hearing personally, a lot more I’ve talked to are planning to stay here for the winter,” The Mayor has some ideas about how to accommodate a larger seniors population this winter. “We’re really just talking about some of the basic services. Walkability [is one thing], winter can be a tough time and making sure we have the services available to keep some of our sidewalks in certain areas as clear as possible [is good to look at.] ” He added, they could also add a temporary walking track to an arena, use another facility to hold safe get togethers, or increase the number of public skating events. But a larger winter population will not be a factor in the speed of reopening more city services. “We’re going to take it slow and steady. It’s going to depend on what phase we are in,” Mayor Letham explained. “I’m not sure even an increase in population will increase the opening of services, as people need to feel comfortable.” The Mayor also weighed in on how a higher winter population could potentially impact attempts to halt the spread of COVID-19. “I think the winter, with people being indoors, makes it a little bit tougher. Maybe there’s more of a potential with that. With more people, there’s going to be more potential for numbers to increase, as there is with increased testing. I think if everybody just: takes care of themselves, follows the proper protocols, makes good decisions, and uses common sense we’ll get through it just fine. We just can’t get complacent.” A possible positive effect of a larger winter population is more business for stores and restaurants in Kawartha Lakes. “I think having a bigger winter population will assist our businesses over the winter, absolutely. They’ll need to buy groceries, they’ll need to buy supplies and clothes, some of that they usually do down south. I think that’ll be a win for our businesses, [which] they don’t usually get. Every little bit is going to help. I think it’s going to be a tough winter regardless, but our businesses seem to be doing a wonderful job at creating a safe atmosphere for people,” Mayor Letham stated. Dan Cearns, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Standard Newspaper
"I sincerely hope that the people who have embraced my music the last 29 years will embrace SCARS and find enjoyment and emotional inspiration from this album," he says
Thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, Far Cry 6 will miss its February 18th release date. The news comes courtesy of Ubisoft's latest earnings report, in which the company says it's moving the release of Far Cry 6, as well as Rainbow Six Quarantine, to its fiscal 2021-2022 year.
Medchal (Telangana) [India], October 29 (ANI): Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao on Thursday inaugurated the 'Dharani' portal and said that it is a gateway to end corruption in land management.
As COVID-19 cases rise, people are going to want to have hand sanitizer, toilet paper, puzzles, and more on hand.
It comes weeks after the firm said it would cut 1,100 jobs and shut 73 restaurants as coronavirus hits business.
Les Dennis, Tim Vine, Declan Donnelly and Rufus Hound have also paid tribute to the late comedian.
Eva Longoria will star in the upcoming independent comedy "Unplugging," portraying the spouse of Matt Walsh's character. Principal photography has started in Oklahoma following Oklahoma state and SAG/AFTRA COVID-19 protocols. Lea Thompson, Keith David, Nicole Byer and Al Madrigal have joined the film, which marks the directorial debut from Debra Neil-Fisher. Walsh penned the script […]
DO NOT skip out on this deal.
Condemning the knife attack in Nice, France on Thursday that killed three people, United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres expressed his condolences to the families of the victims, reflecting the majority of responses by world leaders. Guterres "strongly condemns the heinous attack today that took place in Notre Dame's Basilica in Nice," spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “shocked” at the “barbaric attack” in a message that he tweeted in French.“The United Kingdom is on the side of France to fight against terror and intolerance,” he wrote.French President Emmanuel Macron named the killings "an Islamist terrorist attack." At least one of the victims had their throat slit.Others joined in on social media to express their solidarity, including European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, who said that “All of Europe is in solidarity with France.”US President Donald Trump expressed his solidarity with France on Thursday, calling the terrorist attack unacceptable.“Our hearts are with the people of France. America stands with our oldest Ally in this fight,” tweeted Trump.Turkey gracious, ex Malaysian PM not so muchThe French Council of the Muslim Faith condemned the killings and asked French Muslims not to celebrate the birth of Mohammed “as a sign of mourning and in solidarity with the families of victims and the Catholics of France.”Although Macron has been at odds with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey “strongly” condemned the “savage” attack in Nice, putting aside diplomatic differences in order to express their “solidarity” with France.Erdogan had previously accused Macron of Islamophobia, prompting Paris to recall its ambassador to Turkey. Terror investigation launched as three killed in knife attack at Nice church 'We will not give in to terror', says Macron as security alert raised to highest Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad lashed out on social media on Thursday, saying Muslims had a right “to kills millions of French people” and made other similar statements before Twitter deleted his post.Mahathir, 95, was prime minister in the Muslim-majority country until his government collapsed in February. He also referred to the recent beheading of French teacher Samuel Paty for showing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, saying he did not approve of the attack, but that people should not be insulted."The French in the course of their history has killed millions of people. Many were Muslims. Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past."Macron has called for a crackdown on Islamic extremism since Paty’s killing, which incensed Muslim leaders around the world, including Erdogan, who claimed that the French president had a mental deficiency.
Follow all the action as Spurs aim to continue their perfect start in Europe
Though French police believe the attacker who killed three people in Nice on Thursday is a Tunisian, the North African democracy has made big strides in tackling the jihadist threat in recent years. A French police source told Reuters the man who beheaded an elderly woman and killed two others in a church in the French Riviera city was thought to be a 21-year-old Tunisian who recently entered France via Italy. Five years after militant Islamists killed scores of tourists in two mass shootings in Tunisia, police in the North African state have grown far better at disrupting plots and responding quickly when attacks take place, diplomats say.