Canada markets open in 6 minutes
  • S&P/TSX

    19,201.28
    -26.75 (-0.14%)
     
  • S&P 500

    4,127.99
    -0.81 (-0.02%)
     
  • DOW

    33,745.40
    -55.20 (-0.16%)
     
  • CAD/USD

    0.7951
    -0.0010 (-0.13%)
     
  • CRUDE OIL

    60.40
    +0.70 (+1.17%)
     
  • BTC-CAD

    79,018.66
    +2,688.84 (+3.52%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    1,343.42
    +48.83 (+3.77%)
     
  • GOLD FUTURES

    1,742.30
    +9.60 (+0.55%)
     
  • RUSSELL 2000

    2,233.78
    -9.69 (-0.43%)
     
  • 10-Yr Bond

    1.6710
    -0.0040 (-0.24%)
     
  • NASDAQ futures

    13,881.00
    +72.25 (+0.52%)
     
  • VOLATILITY

    17.05
    +0.36 (+2.16%)
     
  • FTSE

    6,888.12
    -1.00 (-0.01%)
     
  • NIKKEI 225

    29,751.61
    +212.88 (+0.72%)
     
  • CAD/EUR

    0.6661
    -0.0016 (-0.24%)
     

Girl, 16, declared dead following ‘knife attack’ in Welsh village of Treorchy

Michael Howie and John Dunne
·4 min read
<p>Police at the scene in Treorchy</p> (PA)

Police at the scene in Treorchy

(PA)

A 16-year-old girl has died following a reported knife attack in the Welsh village of Treorchy.

South Wales Police said the girl had died following an “incident”.

They said the cause of death had not been confirmed. It came hours after the force said officers were responding to a “serious” incident in Treorchy, in Rhondda Cynon Taf, involving a “number” of casualties.

Forensic officers were trawling an area near a Chinese takeaway and a crime scene tent has been set up.

Neighbours reported seeing injured people and the business covered in blood.

South Wales Police released a statement on Friday evening, confirming the “sudden and unexplained” death of a 16-year-old girl in the Rhondda earlier in the day.

“Cause of death has not been confirmed and a post-mortem examination will take place to help establish how she died,” it said.

Police said emergency services were called to a premises in Baglan Street, Treorchy, around midday to reports of a stabbing.

“Two men have been arrested in connection with the incident and are currently in hospital receiving treatment for serious injuries.

“The girl’s family is being supported by specially-trained family liaison officers and efforts are continuing to contact other relatives,” police said.

Police said the investigation was in the early stages, but confirmed it is not being treated as a terrorist attack.

“It is understood that those involved are known to each other. Detectives are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident,” police added.

The force earlier said the incident involved “a number of casualties”.

Neighbour John Belgrove 46, said: “I was in my workshop when I heard sirens and saw police everywhere.

‘There was a Chinese girl sitting on a pavement - she was in her pyjamas and they were covered in blood. I could see she was sobbing and in a terrible state.

“I helped the police block off the road, I heard them say that one person was dead and several others badly hurt.”

Builder Mr Belgrove said he believed the casualties were Chinese and worked at the takeaway in Baglan Street which was sealed off by police.

He said: “The restaurant owners haven’t been there very long - they did a swap with another Chinese restaurant nearby called Yummy Yummy.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“As far as I know there is a connection between the two businesses.”

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Trust has confirmed they were called to the scene at noon but could not say how many people have been taken to hospital. They said that one rapid response vehicle, three emergency ambulances and the air ambulance were sent to the scene.

A statement said: “We attended scene with one rapid response vehicle, three emergency ambulances, our hazardous area response team and the Wales Air Ambulance.”

A resident who lives nearby told Wales Online: “I just came outside my house and I could see the first responder and then they all rushed and armed police came then.

“First of all it was like ‘what’s happening?’, and then there was the armed response. It’s not something you see in Ynyswen. That was around midday.”

First Minister of Wales Mark Drakeford tweeted that news of the incident was “deeply concerning”.

He said: “I’m being kept informed of developments and my thoughts are with everyone in the community during this worrying time.”

Chris Bryant, MP for Rhondda, tweeted: "I'm aware of disturbing events on Baglan Street in Treherbert/Ynyswen.

“My thoughts go out to all those affected and thanks to @swpRCT and @WelshAmbulance who are in attendance."

Councillor Andrew Morgan, the leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council, said: “I have been informed of the major incident in Ynyswen and want to thank the emergency services for the significant attendance which is ongoing.

“My thoughts are with everyone affected by this incident but please avoid the area until emergency services leave the location.”

Police also sent out a tweet calling on the public not to speculate on the details of the incident while they were investigating.

They added: “We will release further information when appropriate to do - your support is appreciated.”

Anybody who may have witnessed the incident is urged to contact 101 immediately and give reference *077519.

Read More

South Wales Police responding to ‘serious’ incident

Pc who attended lockdown party and crashed car is sacked

Government defends 1% pay offer to NHS workers amid growing anger