SINGAPORE — Singapore is studying and will be responding "shortly" to a proposal from Hong Kong to reopen borders safely, Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung said on Monday (29 March) evening, after a plan for a travel bubble between the two cities was postponed twice late last year.
"We are very happy that Hong Kong has in recent weeks kept the pandemic under good control. This is a very positive development," said Ong, who was responding to comments made earlier on the same day by Hong Kong's Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau.
Yau stated during a press briefing that Hong Kong will resume discussions over travel bubble arrangements with several countries, including Singapore.
He had proposed that Hong Kong residents who wish to take part in travel bubbles would have to be fully vaccinated and wait at least two weeks after the second shot before taking the flights.
The travel bubble arrangements between Singapore and Hong Kong – announced on 11 November – were originally scheduled to begin on the 22nd of the same month last year. But the arrangements were postponed for two weeks a day before they were to begin, after a surge in COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong.
They were further postponed indefinitely in December as local unlinked COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong had remained high.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore
More Singapore stories: