- Apple raises hopes of next-generation iPhone SE with regulatory filing in Russia.
- The filing lists 11 new iPhone models, and tech bloggers think there's pretty good chance the iPhone SE will be relaunched as a cheaper alternative to the iPhone X.
- The iPhone SE is a popular model and is selling well in emerging markets like India.
Apple has raised hopes that it might be preparing a new iPhone SE after tech bloggers seized on a filing by the company on Wednesday.
In a Russian-language regulatory filing with the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC), first spotted by French website Consomac, Apple lists 11 new iPhones that will run iOS 11.
There's no suggestion that the unseen model numbers correspond with unique new phones, they could simply delineate factors such as carrier and country of sale.
But the filing has increased speculation that Apple is plotting something new. And, according to several specialist Apple websites, including MacRumours and Apple Insider, the smart money is on a cheaper alternative to the iPhone X.
All eyes are on the iPhone SE, which is overdue a refresh after it first launched in March 2016. It is a popular model, topping customer satisfaction surveys, becoming the top-selling smartphone in the UK in the year it launched, and Apple revealed last year that it is a strong performer in emerging markets like India.
A next-generation iPhone SE also seems to fit with rumours that Apple is planning to launch an entry-level handset this summer.
New launches have previously followed Apple's filings with the EEC, which satisfy Russia's requirement for companies to register all products containing encryption and/or cryptographic tools, according to MacRumours.
EEC filings relating to the iPad in February trailed the Wi-Fi and cellular versions of Apple's 9.7-inch iPad, which launched last month.
- 6 reasons you should buy an iPhone SE instead of the iPhone X
- 'Father of the iPod' Tony Fadell suggests 3 features Apple could add to the iPhone to fight device addiction
- 10 reasons why the Galaxy S9 is better than the iPhone X