(Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX <.GSPTSE> rose 35.69 points, or 0.24 percent, to 14,939.18.
* Leading the index were Cogeco Communications Inc , up 7.5 percent, Aurora Cannabis Inc , up 7.5 percent, and Aphria Inc , higher by 5.4 percent.
* Lagging shares were Nexgen Energy Ltd , down 5.0 percent, Seven Generations Energy Ltd , down 4.9 percent, and New Gold Inc , lower by 4.7 percent.
* On the TSX 133 issues rose and 99 fell as a 1.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 10 new highs and 1 new lows, with total volume of 248.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Encana Corp .
* The TSX's energy group <.SPTTEN> rose 0.18 points, or 0.12 percent, while the financials sector <.SPTTFS> climbed 0.56 points, or 0.2 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 1.71 percent, or $0.9, to $51.69 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.83 percent, or $1.13, to $60.55 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 4.3 percent for the year.
(Reporting By Sinéad Carew)