Lonnie Walker IV (San Antonio Spurs) with an and one vs the Houston Rockets, 01/16/2021
Lonnie Walker IV (San Antonio Spurs) with an and one vs the Houston Rockets, 01/16/2021
Chancellor may not want his signature, or fingerprints, on some consequences of his decisions.
NEW YORK — Target will plow $4 billion into its business each year for the next several years to redo its stores, add new ones and speed up delivery as the discounter aims to keep up with increasingly demanding shoppers shaped by the pandemic. As part of the investments announced Tuesday, Target will accelerate the pace of building small-format stores, with plans to add 30 to 40 new stores this year, up from 29 last year. It also will step up the pace of its store remodel program. It will remodel 150 stores this year, and then push that number to 200 remodels a year later. But safety will remain top of mind even as the threat of COVID-19 should diminish with the vaccine rollout. The Minneapolis retailer says it will implement more contactless features from its restrooms to its checkouts and add distance between merchandise and at the checkout lanes. The company is also testing a “merchandise sortation hub” in Minneapolis and will build five more this year. The hubs will help sort packages and speed up deliveries to customers ordering more online. The capital investment is up 50% from the previous year. The moves come as Target extended its sales streak through the holiday quarter and sales grew by more than $15 billion. That exceeded the company's annual sales growth over the past 11 years combined. With the habits of millions altered because of the spread of COVID-19, online sales last year surged by almost $10 billion and Target made it increasingly easy to shop. Fourth-quarter profits soared 66% and sales jumped 21%, both topping Wall Street expectations. Sales at stores opened at least a year rose 6.9% compared with the same period last year. Online sales soared 118%. Customer traffic in stores rose 3.7%, and average dollars spent rose 15%. In the previous quarter, same-store sales rose 10%, while online sales spiked 155%. Target picked up $9 billion in market share from rivals in fiscal 2020. Big-box stores including Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart all had huge fourth quarters with Americans still consolidating shopping trips. Like all big-box stores, Target was allowed to stay open during the early onset of the pandemic last year, while department stores and mall-based retailers were forced to temporarily close because they were considered non-essential. That increased the dominance of Target and other discounters. Kohl's reported on Tuesday mixed results for its fiscal fourth quarter, delivering a 30% increase in profits but a 10% drop in sales while offering an upbeat outlook. Nordstrom's online sales and off-price business helped power better-than-expected results, but it said Tuesday that it's dealing with inventory snags from the holiday season. Target, which had already been expanding its delivery services before the pandemic, pushed even harder in that area. Same-day services such as picking up orders inside the store or at curbside, soared 212%, led by drive-up service, which increased more than 500%. And its omnipresent store locations have been an advantage. More than 95% of Target's fourth-quarter sales were fulfilled by its own stores. Target says that shoppers who use those services are spending more. First-time users of Target's drive-up service spent 30% more on average, the company said. “We placed the physical store more firmly at the centre of our omni-channel platform, and we created a durable sustainable and scalable business model that puts Target on a road of our own," Target CEO Brian Cornell said during its annual analysts' meeting. Target's push starting in 2016 to build its own store brands, including Cat & Jack and Goodfellow & Co., have also pulled in shoppers. Ten of its brands each generate $1 billion or more, and four of those have crossed the $2 billion, the company said. During a call with reporters on Tuesday, Cornell said he believes that the focus on safety will be with its customers for years to come. But he noted Target is preparing for newly vaccinated shoppers to spend more time at its stores and thus buy more impulse items as well as shop for clothing and other items. “We are seeing a hopeful consumer who is looking forward to life post-pandemic," he added. Target has also announced a series of partnerships that should help drive more shoppers to its stores. Late last year, it signed a deal with beauty chain Ulta Beauty that will place Ulta shops in more than 100 Target stores by mid-2021. Overall sales in 2020 rose 19.8% to $92.4 billion, up from $77.1 billion last year. Target said net income rose to $1.38 billion, or $2.73 per share, in the fourth quarter, from $834 million, or $1.63 per share. Adjusted results were $2.67 per share, which topped estimates of $2.54 per share, according to FactSet. Sales rose 21% to $28 billion for the quarter. Analysts were expecting $27.4 billion. The company did not provide a financial outlook due to uncertainty related to the pandemic. Target was among many that pulled back on guidance at the onset of the pandemic. Target's shares slipped more than 6%, or $12.60, to close at $173.49. Kohl's shares rose 36 cents to close at $57.36. Nordstrom saw shares fall nearly 2%, or 68 cents, to $36.90 in after marketing trading after its earnings report. ________ Follow Anne D’Innocenzio on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ADInnocenzio Anne D'Innocenzio, The Associated Press
A group of state treasurers are pressuring Marathon Petroleum to end a lockout at a Minnesota refinery that has left 200 union members out of work for two months, according to a Tuesday letter the officials sent to the company. Marathon has brought in out of state workers to operate its St. Paul Park refinery as it negotiates with members of the Teamsters Local 120 over new proposals by management that employees say threaten their jobs. In the letter reviewed by Reuters, the Democratic state treasurers of Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Oregon told Marathon's sustainability chair they are concerned that the lockout will have a long-term impact on safety and reliability.
Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - March 2, 2021) - Spey Resources Corp. (CSE: SPEY) ("Spey" or the "Company") would like to provide further detail regarding the completion of its acquisition (the "Transaction") of Tay Resources Corp. ("Tay") previously announced on March 1, 2021. The Company acquired 100% of the issued and outstanding common shares in the capital of Tay (the "Tay Shares") from the shareholders of Tay (the "Tay Shareholders") pursuant to an agreement ...
AHF Salutes President Biden on Historic Merck/Johnson & Johnson Deal to Produce 100M More COVID Vaccine Doses.
General Motors and Toyota Motor employees in Texas will keep face masks on at work, the automakers said on Tuesday, even as the U.S. state lifted most of its coronavirus-related restrictions allowing businesses to reopen at full capacity as of next week. Japanese carmaker Toyota, which has its U.S. headquarters and a factory in Texas, said it was looking into the move by Governor Greg Abbott to roll back the mask mandate, and it doesn't contemplate any immediate changes. "The early read is – no change for us," Toyota spokesman Scott Vazin said.
The annual step increases were included in the Senate’s budget plan last year, but the House chose to keep spending levels the same because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The money could come to teachers by June 15.
Their lawyers said The Times of London was "being used by Buckingham Palace to peddle a wholly false narrative."
Holy sweetness. From Delish
NASHVILLE — Dolly Parton has written hundreds of songs over her decades-long career and it turns out her tune “Jolene" is the just right one for getting her COVID-19 vaccine. “I even changed one of my songs to fit the occasion. It goes, ‘Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, I’m begging of you please don't hesitate,'" the actor, singer and humanitarian sang in a social media post on Tuesday, just before receiving her shot. The Grammy-winning legend turned 75 this year. In 2020, she donated $1 million to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, for coronavirus research. Parton had earlier told The Associated Press that she was going to wait until it became more widely available because she didn't want to look like she was jumping the line. Parton wore a purple shirt with shoulder cutouts just for the occasion and a matching purple mask. She put on a typical show, laughing, cracking jokes with the doctor and making sure her hair was looking good. “That didn't hurt. Just stung a little bit," she said afterward. Then she smiled at the camera saying, “I did it! I did it!” Kristin M. Hall, The Associated Press
The event, which dates back to the 60s, is the latest to reschedule.
The legendary comedian memorably won "The Celebrity Apprentice" in 2012.
New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - March 2, 2021) - The following statement is being issued by Levi & Korsinsky, LLP:To: All persons or entities who purchased or otherwise acquired securities of Clover Health Investments, Corp. ("Clover") (NASDAQ: CLOV) between October 6, 2020 and February 3, 2021. You are hereby notified that a securities class action lawsuit has been commenced in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee. To get ...
Shares of Rocket Companies (NYSE: RKT) soared 71% to a new closing high of $41.60 on Tuesday. After igniting short squeezes that helped drive up the prices of companies such as GameStop (NYSE: GME), AMC Entertainment, and Sundial Growers earlier this year, Reddit's traders appear to have found a new candidate. More than 45% of Rocket Companies' freely traded shares were sold short as of the market close on Monday, according to S3 Partners.
Powerful digital and brick-and-mortar ecosystem drives biggest quarter in company's 26-year history TORONTO, March 2, 2021 /CNW/ - Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc. ("Sleep Country" or "Sleep Country Canada" or the "Company") (TSX: ZZZ) today proudly released financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2020.
The furlough scheme will be extended until the end of September, with employers asked to contribute to workers' salaries from July, Rishi Sunak is set to announce. The Chancellor will use Wednesday's Budget to pledge to continue to help businesses and individuals through the "challenging months ahead - and beyond". In July, employers will be expected to contribute 10 per cent, increasing to 20 per cent in August and September, as the economy reopens.
Move over, Taco Tuesday. From Delish
HALIFAX — Just before two RCMP officers opened fire on a fellow officer and a civilian during last year's Nova Scotia mass shooting, they struggled with congested radio channels and mistook a man wearing a bright vest for the killer. These are among the fresh facts revealed Tuesday in a police watchdog agency report clearing the Mounties of criminal wrongdoing after they fired five shots with high-powered rifles outside the Onslow, N.S., firehall. The six-page report by the Serious Incident Response Team says the "totality of the evidence" prompted the officers to believe the killer was standing just 88 metres away from them on the morning of April 19. "They discharged their weapons in order to prevent further deaths or serious injuries .... The (officers) had reasonable grounds to believe the person they saw, who was disobeying their orders, was the mass murderer who had, in the preceding hour, killed three more persons," it concludes. The six-page document traces the 10:21 a.m. incident — which didn't result in deaths or injuries — to the early hours of the morning, when the two officers were recalled to duty at 3 a.m. for a briefing as the shootings that would take 22 lives unfolded. According to the report, they were told that the spouse of the killer had said the gunman was driving a replica RCMP car and was wearing an orange vest. "They learned that several children had witnessed their parents being shot dead .... The actual total number of victims was unknown at the time of the briefing because several buildings in Portapique were on fire, and whether there were additional victims had not yet been determined," the report says. They also had been briefed that the gunman had high-powered weapons with laser-mounted sights. Several hours after the first briefing, there were radio transmissions saying the killer had murdered a woman in Wentworth, N.S. At that point, the two officers were "transitioned from investigators to being involved in the hunt for the killer," the report says. Through the morning, reports of additional murders came over the radio, including two women in the Debert, N.S., area, which is about a 10-minute drive from the Onslow firehall. As they approached the firehall, which had been designated as a rest area, they saw a marked RCMP car parked in front and a man wearing a yellow and orange reflective vest standing next to the driver's door. According to the report, the two officers didn't realize a uniformed RCMP officer was sitting in the vehicle. The investigation says the two officers repeatedly tried to advise other RCMP officers by radio of what they were seeing but couldn't get through. Felix Cacchione, the director of SIRT, said in an email to The Canadian Press that he didn't have an exact time of arrival. "I can only extrapolate from the radio communications that it was about a minute before shots were fired," he wrote. According to the report, both officers got out of their vehicle with their rifles and were still unable to reach anyone on the radio. The report says they yelled "police," and "show your hands," but the civilian in the vest ducked behind the car before popping back up and running toward the firehall. The Mounties opened fire, with one officer firing four shots and the other a single shot. During the killer's 13-hour rampage, the report found, there were 7,731 radio transmissions over emergency response channels. It says the "sole reason" the reason the officers couldn't transmit before opening fire was because "there was no available talk path due to the heavy volume of radio traffic." It concluded the officers had a "lawful excuse" to fire their guns and didn't break Criminal Code provisions that prohibit officers from using their firearms in a careless manner. "Based on everything (the officers) had seen and heard since coming on duty and what they had just observed, they had reasonable grounds to believe that the (civilian in the vest) was the killer and someone who would continue his killing rampage," says the report. In a statement on its Facebook page Tuesday, the Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade said it is "frustrated and disappointed that there will be no accountability for the RCMP. Their actions that day endangered lives, damaged property and caused mental health issues for many of the people involved." An RCMP spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment about whether any disciplinary action has been taken against the two officers. This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 2, 2021. Michael Tutton, The Canadian Press Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said both people shot at outside the firehall were RCMP officers.
NASHVILLE — The Nashville Predators have placed defenceman Ryan Ellis and forward Luke Kunin on injured reserve with centre Ryan Johansen placed on the NHL's COVID-19 protocol list. The Predators, who have won four of five, made the moves Tuesday afternoon after the trio didn't take part in the morning skate before a game against Carolina. Ellis will be out up to six weeks with an upper-body injury. The defenceman hadn't missed any of Nashville's first 21 games and trails only Filip Forsberg and Roman Josi for scoring with nine points. Ellis played 26 minutes, 8 seconds in the Predators' 3-1 win over Columbus on Sunday. Kunin is expected to miss two to four weeks with a lower-body injury. He has played 17 games and has two goals and three assists. Johansen becomes the Predators’ third player to land in the NHL's COVID-19 protocol, and first since Mikael Granlund spent the first eight days of the season on the list in quarantine after arriving from Finland before being cleared on Jan. 21. Lucas Sbisa also spent the first two days of the season in the protocol. The centre has only been back four games after an upper-body injury Feb. 4 against Florida. Johansen has only five assists and has yet to score a goal this season. ___ More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/NHL and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The Associated Press
Exhale, country music lovers. Dolly Parton has received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccination.