Coby White (Chicago Bulls) with a 2-pointer vs the Phoenix Suns, 02/26/2021
Coby White (Chicago Bulls) with a 2-pointer vs the Phoenix Suns, 02/26/2021
One of the finest episodes in Line Of Duty history.
The biggest night in the British film calendar, the Bafta Awards, is taking place in London.
One popular fan theory was also put to bed, while we saw the returns of Jimmy Lakewell and Lee Banks.
If you were wondering who the man that killed the other guy in his prison cell is, allow us to explain.
Britain notched up 14 wins – the same total as last year.
LONDON — A season that provided the flickers of a title challenge is now turning into the worst of Jose Mourinho's managerial career. Of all the managers to inflict Tottenham's 10th loss of the Premier League season, it was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who replaced Mourinho at Manchester United. Maybe that explains why Mourinho was so irritated with Solskjaer after a 3-1 home loss to United saw Tottenham fall six points from fourth place. That spot is occupied by West Ham again after the east London club beat Leicester 3-2 on Sunday. The post-match focus at Tottenham was less on Edinson Cavani’s diving header that put second-place United 2-1 in front and more on the circumstances that denied the forward the game's opening goal. Cavani had slotted through Hugo Lloris’ legs after the ball was rolled into his path by Paul Pogba. But then the goal was ruled out after a lengthy VAR review penalized Scott McTominay for a push on Son Heung-min who went tumbling to the ground. “The game has gone ... if that’s a clear and obvious error," Solskjaer said. “We shouldn’t be conned but I have to say, if my son stays down like this for three minutes ... and he needs his 10 mates to help him up, he won’t get any food." Mourinho bristled at Solskjaer's criticism of Son, who did go on to break the deadlock in the 40th minute. “Sonny is very lucky that his father is a better person than Ole because I think a father you always have to feed their kids, it doesn't matter what they do," Mourinho said. “If you steal to feed your kids, you steal. I am very, very disappointed. Like we say in Portuguese, ‘Bread is bread, cheese is cheese.’ I told Ole what I think about his comments." After discovering what Solskjaer had said in a TV interview and quickly challenging him on it, Mourinho was disappointed not to be asked for his reaction in the news conference. “It’s really sad that you don’t ask me about it," Mourinho said. “It’s really sad you don’t have the moral honesty to treat me the way you treat others." Never before in a career that has seen Mourinho win domestic titles with Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid has the Portuguese lost as many as 10 league matches in a season. While David Moyes — another former United manager — could be leading West Ham into the Champions League for the first time, Mourinho is set to miss out at a second attempt at qualification with the 2019 beaten finalists. United’s comeback began in the 57th when Fred teed up Cavani for a shot that was parried by Hugo Lloris and the Brazilian followed up with his first Premier League goal since 2018. Having denied Bruno Fernandes, Lloris was beaten again in the 79th when the Portugal midfielder’s nutmeg helped to set up Mason Greenwood for a cross that Cavani got on the end of with a header. And Greenwood put further gloss on the win in the sixth minute of stoppage time by scoring after Pogba and Cavani combined to set up the English forward for a shot that Lloris got a touch to but couldn’t keep out. “I’m not going home upset with my players," Mourinho said. “They gave what they can." Mourinho had enjoyed a 6-1 win at United in October and Tottenham had been top of the standings in December. But Tottenham has fallen to seventh place, while Solskjaer is still on course to deliver the team’s highest finish since being runners-up three years ago under Mourinho. The Premier League trophy seems out of reach for United with Manchester City 11 points ahead. While United is still in contention for the Europa League, Mourinho has a League Cup final meeting with Manchester City in two weeks. LINGARD DOUBLE Jesse Lingard took his goal tally to eight in nine appearances since joining West Ham on loan from Manchester United. The win allowed West Ham to dislodge Chelsea and move back into fourth place. Lingard volleyed in the opener and tapped in a second before halftime after being set up by Jarrod Bowen, who added the third three minutes into the second half. Kelechi Iheanacho scored twice for Leicester but the third-place team couldn't produce an equalizer. LACAZETTE BRACE Alexandre Lacazette scored twice either side of Gabriel Martinelli's tap-in as Arsenal nudged last-place Sheffield United closer to relegation with a 3-0 victory. A first clean sheet in 14 matches in all competitions moved Mikel Arteta’s team up to ninth. NEWCASTLE COMEBACK Allan Saint-Maximin came off the bench to set up Jacob Murphy's equalizer for Newcastle at Burnley and then scored himself to seal a 2-1 win. It moved Newcastle six points clear of the relegation zone. ___ More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Rob Harris, The Associated Press
See all the winners and nominees for this year's British Academy Film Awards.
The SNP leader said she is ‘pretty confident’ her party’s plan B of taking a referendum Bill through Holyrood will not be needed.
Some of the images colourised by an Irish artist appear to have been edited to show them smiling.
Timeline: David Cameron and Greensill CapitalAs the former PM breaks his silence over lobbying for Greensill, we look back at the key moments in the saga David Cameron in 2018, the year he became an adviser to Greensill Capital and was given stock options in the company. Photograph: Jason Lee/AFP/Getty Images
The drama wins four prizes including best film, while Promising Young Woman wins best British film.
We continue our look at the top 100 prospects in the 2021 NFL draft with No. 26 overall — Bama's mauling center whose medical evaluation will be huge.
He admitted winning a gong was a ‘bit off my radar to be honest’.
EDMUNDSTON, N.B. — New Brunswick reported nine new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, including five more in an area in the northwest of the province now mostly under lockdown following a recent outbreak of the virus. The new figures followed an earlier update on the status of the Edmundston Regional Hospital, which has been bearing the brunt of the recent surge in cases. The Vitalite Health Network issued a news release saying the hospital had 13 patients who were sick with the virus, with seven in intensive care and five on respirators. Officials said the hospital has nine intensive care beds and to date had transferred two patients to a health-care facility in Fredericton. The province's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Jennifer Russell, later urged residents to remain vigilant. “Given the current risk posed by variants of concern, it is even more important now that everyone follow public health guidelines, especially those living in areas which are in the red or lockdown level,” Russell said in a news release. The Edmundston and the Upper Madawaska region went under full lockdown as of midnight Sunday after 15 of 19 new COVID-19 cases announced in the province the day before were identified in the area. Russell also announced one new COVID-19 related death in the region on Saturday — the province's 33rd since the onset of the pandemic — and said that moving forward all cases in the province would be presumed to be caused by virus variants of concern. The variant found thus far has been the one first identified in the United Kingdom, known as B.1.1.7. The outbreak prompted Elections New Brunswick to announce that it was suspending municipal elections in the area set for May 10 until the lockdown ends. Legislation was recently passed to allow the municipal electoral officer to pause nominations and voting in a particular zone. Municipalities where elections are suspended include Edmundston, Upper-Madawaska, Lac Baker, Rivière-Verte, Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska and Saint Léonard. “Electors in the impacted areas will not be sent their voter information cards until such time as we are advised the lockdown has been lifted and that we are able to ensure we can rebook polling locations and provide the necessary training to poll workers," Chief Electoral Officer Kim Poffenroth said in a news release Sunday. The suspension of voting also means the reporting of results for the rest of the province will be delayed until all electors have had the opportunity to cast a ballot. Poffenroth said the move was necessary because an elector from one part of the province can cast their ballot at another returning office if they are away from the area where they normally vote. Meanwhile, health officials said four of the five new cases identified in the Edmundston region on Sunday were contacts of previously confirmed cases, while the other one was under investigation. The remaining cases in the province included two in the Saint John area, and one each in the Moncton and Fredericton regions. New Brunswick now has a total of 148 known active infections, with 20 patients hospitalized and 13 in intensive care units. This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 11, 2021. By Keith Doucette in Halifax The Canadian Press
Seriously, we had to do a double take...
Trinity Rodman was the second overall pick in the National Women's Soccer League earlier this year
Matsuyama steadied the ship after a shaky start to his closing round.
Twenty-one people are trapped underground after a coal mine flooded in the Xinjiang region.
CALGARY — The men's world curling championship playoffs resumed Sunday in Calgary after a suspension of games due to COVID-19. Alberta Health approved the resumption of games, the World Curling Federation said in a statement. Four participants, including three from non-playoff teams, tested positive for the virus, but did not show symptoms of the illness. An unidentified athlete from a playoff team who tested positive and then negative in a subsequent test was initially barred from competing Sunday, but the WCF reversed course and allowed him on the ice. "After extensive consultation with Alberta Health the athlete who tested positive, then negative has been granted permission to play in the playoffs today," the WCF said in a statement. "The athlete in question has been fully vaccinated. "New medical guidelines have been implemented for the closing day. Players will remain masked when competing and PCR throat-swab tests will take place before and after each game." The player who tested positive received two doses of vaccination in his home country before the world championship, the WCF said. The world governing body of curling also said a case was made to reinstate the athlete with the argument teammates and opponents would be at minimal risk from his participation Sunday. Switzerland's Peter de Cruz edged John Shuster of the United States 7-6 in a morning playoff game in which all players on the ice wore masks for the first time in Calgary's bubble. Masks were previously mandatory off the ice. "My coach told me we were going to play with a mask," de Cruz said. "I said 'let's make sure it's one where I can actually breathe a little bit in it.' "Our Swiss masks with the Swiss cheese, a bit tough to sweep with those." The Swiss skip put his faith in the governing bodies of the event that it was safe to proceed Sunday. "In my opinion, and this doesn't really matter, I completely trust the WCF and Curling Canada," de Cruz said. "If they made the call, then it's definitely safe. "In this situation, I've had concerns for the last 14 months. If someone tells me we can play then I'm a hundred per cent behind it. If you want to win some games, that's the only way to do it." The Swiss advanced to the afternoon semifinals to face Sweden. Scotland and Russia were to meet in the other semifinal in the same draw. Gold and bronze-medal games were scheduled for the same draw in the evening. Adding to the drama, domestic host broadcaster TSN refused to carry Sunday morning's playoff game "due to COVID-19 issues" although the game was shown on WCF streaming services. Saturday's playoff game and a pair of semifinals were postponed while more testing was conducted. Athletes, coaches and event officials considered close contacts with the infected athletes tested negative, according to the WCF. The men's world championship is the fourth Curling Canada event held in a controlled environment without spectators following the national men's, women's and mixed doubles championship. No positive tests were reported in Canada's domestic events at WinSport's Markin MacPhail Centre. World championship curlers underwent "exit'' tests last week in preparation to leave Calgary's curling bubble. Shortly after Canada's Brendan Bottcher was eliminated from world championship contention Friday night, the WCF suspended competition because of three positive tests involving non-playoff teams. The fourth positive test involving the playoff-team athlete wasn't received until Saturday morning, the WCF said. That player subsequently tested negative for the virus in the retesting round. This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 11, 2021. Donna Spencer, The Canadian Press
A number of top executives and corporate leaders gathered online this weekend to discuss what to do in response to controversial changes to some state voting laws, according to multiple news reports. The Washington Post reported that more than 100 leaders, including executives from major airlines, retailers and manufacturers — plus at least one NFL owner — talked about potential ways to show they opposed the legislation, which has already been signed into law in Georgia and is being considered elsewhere. That includes halting donations to politicians who support the bills and even delaying investments in states that pass the restrictive measures, according to Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, a Yale management professor and one of the organizers. The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources who attended, said that Kenneth Chenault, the former chief executive of American Express Co. , and Kenneth Frazier, CEO of Merck & Co., urged dozens of leaders to collectively call for greater voting access. Chenault and Frazier warned businesses against dropping the issue and asked CEOs to sign a statement opposing what they view as discriminatory legislation on voting. The new statement could come early this week and would build on one that 72 Black executives signed last month in the wake of changes to Georgia’s voting laws, according to the newspaper's report. A number of companies and their leaders have spoken up on the issue in recent weeks. While Republican lawmakers — such as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell — have derided such action, many activists and others say big business hasn't gone far enough. More than 350 different voting bills are under consideration in dozens of states, according to a tally from the Brennan Center for Justice, a public-policy think-tank . The Wall Street Journal reported that some executives on the call described some bills as either racist or restrictive, and several participants described their efforts as critical to democracy, rather than partisan. While many companies indicated their support of a statement or further action, some remain reticent to speak out on a politically charged issue. One executive from a Fortune 100 consumer-products company told the Wall Street Journal that while board members, employees and vendors are pressing leaders to speak out, doing so could put a bull’s-eye on the company. “It’s really a no-win situation from a corporate standpoint,” the executive said. The Associated Press