The head of Australia's second-largest telco Optus resigned on Monday, cutting short a more than three-year tenure marred by a massive network-wide outage and one of Australia's largest data breaches. Parent Singapore Telecommunications announced the resignation of Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin days after a network-wide outage left nearly half of Australia's 26 million people without phone or internet for 12 hours. Chief Financial Officer Michael Venter will take over as interim CEO, Singtel said in a statement.
Australia's second-largest telco, Optus, had no crisis plan when a network-wide outage left nearly half the country without phone or internet for 12 hours, an executive told parliament on Friday, acknowledging the company's defences had failed. "We didn't have a plan in place for that specific scale of outage," Optus managing director of networks Lambo Kanagaratnam told a Senate hearing on the Nov. 8 failure that left much of the country unable to make payments, receive healthcare or contact emergency services for most of a day. The comments underscore concerns about the resilience of Australia's telecommunications networks, which have been in the spotlight since a massive data breach at Optus last year exposed the personal data of 10 million Australians.
Chief executive Kelly Bayer Rosmarin faced grilling at Senate inquiry on Friday over last week’s network outage