For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – January 31, 2020 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
How to Screen for Highly Ranked, Undervalues Stocks
Welcome to Episode #175 of the Value Investor Podcast.
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
Volatility has picked up to start 2020 with earnings season and the coronavirus grabbing the headlines.
I know many investors like to use “system” style investing and that’s where the Zacks Rank comes in.
Why not use Zacks great Ranking systems to cut through the noise and find those cheap stocks?
Screening for Highly Ranked Undervalued Stocks
The screens always start with the Zacks Rank, in this case the highest ranks of #1 (Strong Buy) and #2 (Buy). It should, hopefully, mean rising earnings estimates.
But investors can layer the Zacks Style Scores on top of it. The Style Scores are included for an investing style, which includes value, growth or momentum. The screen included the top two scores of A or B for the value category.
The Zacks Industry Rank adds yet another layer of screening for the industries with rising estimates, as you can screen for industry ranks in the top 50%.
Throw in the P/E and PEG, as the classic valuation metrics, as well as a stock price over $5 to avoid those pesky penny stocks. I know, you like those $1 stocks, but we’re going to exclude them here.
25 stocks made it through this tight screen including in a bunch of different industries such as financials, drug makers, transports, retailers and energy.
Here are five.
5 Highly Ranked Undervalued Stocks for Your Short List
1. Citigroup (C) is a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). This big, international bank is cheap with a forward P/E of just 8.9. It has a PEG ratio of 0.8, which indicates it has both value and growth. It also pays a dividend, yielding 2.6%.
2. Copa Holdings (CPA) is a passenger airline serving Latin America with its big hub in Panama. It has an Industry Rank of 34, which is the top 13% of all industries. It’s trading with a forward P/E of just 10.5.
3. LPL Financial Holdings (LPLA) operates a financial advisory and brokerage business. Shares are still attractively valued with a forward P/E of just 12. It also has growth with a PEG ratio of just 0.8. Investors get a dividend, currently yielding 1.1%.
4. SYNNEX (SNX) announced on Jan 9 that it would split into 2 companies: Concentrix and SYNNEX. It’s a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy). It’s been cheap for some time, and currently has a forward P/E of just 10.
5. Foot Locker (FL) is one of the cheap retailers, on a valuation basis. It trades with a forward P/E of just 7.8. It’s industry, apparel and shoes, ranks 94 out of 255, or in the top 37% of all industries. Investors are rewarded with a dividend, currently yielding 3.9%.
What else should you know about using the Zacks Rank to find undervalued stocks?
Tune into this week’s podcast to find out.
5 Stocks Set to Double
Each was hand-picked by a Zacks expert as the #1 favorite stock to gain +100% or more in 2020. Each comes from a different sector and has unique qualities and catalysts that could fuel exceptional growth.
Most of the stocks in this report are flying under Wall Street radar, which provides a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor.
Today, See These 5 Potential Home Runs >>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Copa Holdings, S.A. (CPA) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Citigroup Inc. (C) : Free Stock Analysis Report
SYNNEX Corporation (SNX) : Free Stock Analysis Report
LPL Financial Holdings Inc. (LPLA) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Foot Locker, Inc. (FL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.