NEW YORK (Reuters) -
* The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX fell 266.18 points, or 1.62 percent, to 16,183.96.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX loss was Suncor Energy with 22.4 net index points. Financials were the top sector contributor to the decline, with 88.7 net points.
* Leading the index were Detour Gold Corp , up 3.4 percent, Aphria Inc , up 2.6 percent, and Canada Goose Holdings Inc , higher by 2.1 percent.
* Lagging shares were Hudbay Minerals Inc , down 6.3 percent, BlackBerry Ltd, down 5.9 percent, and Shopify Inc, lower by 5.8 percent.
* On the TSX, 30 issues advanced and 211 declined as a 0.1-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 4 new highs and 4 new lows, with total volume of 254.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Canopy Growth Corp.
* The TSX's energy group fell 2.02 percent
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.83 percent, or $0.57, to $68.01 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.05 percent, or $0.79, to $74.76 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 0.2 percent for the year.
(Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf)