* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 1.72 percent to 13,097.84
* Leading the index were MEG Energy Corp <MEG.TO>, up 33.8%, Frontera Energy Corp <FEC.TO>, up 30.7%, and Secure Energy Services Inc <SES.TO>, higher by 24.2%.
* Lagging shares were Shopify Inc <SHOP.TO>, down 9.7%, Lightspeed POS Inc <LSPD.TO>, down 9.6%, and Corus Entertainment Inc <CJRb.TO>, lower by 8.4%.
* On the TSX 174 issues rose and 57 fell as a 3.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were no and no new lows, with total volume of 446.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Cenovus Energy Inc <CVE.TO>, Canadian Natural Resources Ltd <CNQ.TO> and Suncor Energy Inc <SU.TO>.
* The TSX's energy group <.SPTTEN> rose 5.51 points, or 9.4%, while the financials sector <.SPTTFS> climbed 2.90 points, or 1.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures <CLc1> rose 21.86%, or $4.44, to $24.75 a barrel. Brent crude <LCOc1> rose 20.49%, or $5.07, to $29.81
* The TSX is off 23.2% for the year.