Watch: Sajid Javid escorts reporter to get Covid booster after interview
Sajid Javid was caught on camera persuading Sky News’ chief political correspondent to get his booster right there and then on Monday night.
The health secretary, who accepted the advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) to extend the booster jab programme just hours before, asked Jon Craig if he had his extra dose just when they were preparing for an interview.
Craig explained that it had not yet been six months since he had his second dose – although the updated guidelines state anyone can now get boosted three months after their second jab.
Javid replied: ”But under the new rule you’ll be OK. Come back here later this week.”
″In fact, they might give it to you now if you walk in,” he added.
Ignoring Craig’s protests, Javid said: “Yeah, just do it. Can you make me a promise? Make me a promise. Just go do it now.”
Insisting that he would “tell the office” of Sky News on Craig’s behalf, Javid then offered to go in with the journalist for his jab.
“Come on, I’ll walk in with you, come on. Let’s do it. You ready?”
The two of them then walk off into the vaccination tent together.
Watch as Health Secretary @sajidjavid persuades Sky's chief political correspondent @joncraig to get his booster jab while the pair were preparing for an interview at St Thomas' Hospital vaccination centre.
Get live #COVID19 updates: https://t.co/wIvNhraJrmpic.twitter.com/V8I7KUfWOD
— Sky News (@SkyNews) November 29, 2021
The health secretary’s unconventional gesture has been widely praised on social media after a clip of their exchange was published on Twitter.
Shook at an act by a Tory where they come off… well? https://t.co/VhqqnUCyw6
— DM (@Gamesetmatch11) November 30, 2021
MINISTER VISIBLY DOING SOMETHING GENUINE & CONSTRUCTIVE KLAXON! 👏🏻 https://t.co/F3uhjV6Bgo
— David Butt Philip (@DavidButtPhilip) November 30, 2021
— Kevin Maguire (@Kevin_Maguire) November 30, 2021
Javid has been championing the booster programme in recent months but after accepting the JCVI’s ruling, he has made all those aged 18 and over eligible for the third dose of the Covid vaccine.
He also agreed to offer second doses to those aged between 12 and 15, and offer a fourth dose to anyone who is severely immunosuppressed.
The changes follow the World Health Organisation’s identification of the Omicron variant, which is said to be more transmissible than other strains.
Watch: What do we know about the Omicron variant?
As of Tuesday, it also becomes mandatory to wear face coverings in shops and on public transport while the rules around international travel have been tightened up too.
A total of 14 Omicron cases have been detected in the UK so far, but that number is expected to rise in the coming days.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost UK and has been updated.