MONTREAL — New COVID-19 cases in Quebec crept back above the century mark on Wednesday, as health officials reported 127 new infections and three more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus.
The slight increase in infections comes after two days of sub-100 new cases in the province.
Ahead of Thursday's Fête nationale holiday, Health Minister Christian Dubé told Quebecers to press on.
"I invite all Quebecers to continue to respect the health measures in force," he tweeted Wednesday. "Let’s be proud of what we have all accomplished together so far, let’s continue to show solidarity."
The number of people in hospital and in intensive care remained stable, at 161 and 40, respectively. There are 1,184 active reported cases in the province.
Officials said another 97,047 vaccine doses were administered Tuesday, with more than 7.5 million doses doled out since the mass inoculation campaign began. The government says 80.4 per cent of Quebecers aged 12 and older have received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 21.1 per cent are considered fully vaccinated.
As of Wednesday, all Quebecers aged 18 and up could use the province's online booking system to move up their appointments for second vaccine doses.
On Tuesday, Dr. Horacio Arruda, Quebec's public health director, said the province would wait until the fall to administer second doses for those under 18 years of age. Arruda told a briefing that some data indicates a single dose can be enough for the younger age group.
The province has reported a total of 374,222 COVID-19 cases and 11,198 deaths linked to the virus.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 23, 2021.
The Canadian Press