The Carolina Panthers haven’t won a football game since, well, black-and-white TV.
Of course, we’re kidding, but it has been a minute since Carolina beat Houston 24-9 on a nationally televised Thursday night game.
The Panthers are suffering through a three-game losing streak, heading into Sunday’s 1 p.m. game against the Giants in New York. Big Blue is 1-5 and has one of the lowest scoring offenses in the NFC.
So is this the week the Panthers’ streak ends? We checked in, as usual, with the NFL experts.
▪ At ESPN, David Newton likes the Panthers in a nail-biter 24-21.
“Panthers rookie running back Chuba Hubbard will rush for 150 yards and two touchdowns,” Newton writes. “Carolina coach Matt Rhule promised a vastly different look on offense and more of a lean on the run, and the Giants’ defense is ranked 25th in the NFL (4.5 yards per carry allowed) against the run.”
But his co-worker, Jordan Ranaan like the Giants 13-9.
▪ Ten members of the 11-person ESPN expert panel, however, like Carolina to win.
▪ Six of the seven USA Today experts like Carolina.
▪ Over at NFL.com, Gregg Rosenthal likes Carolina 21-17, but with a caveat.
“These teams aren’t so different, both ranked outside the top 25 in offensive advanced metrics,” he writes. “The Giants’ young quarterback, Daniel Jones, is undoubtedly more trustworthy than Sam Darnold. But I reversed my upset pick when Andrew Thomas hit injured reserve and Kadarius Toney joined Saquon Barkley and Kenny Golladay on the DNP list. Thomas and Toney have been the two biggest signs for hope on this New York offense. If The Snow Patrol Panthers defense can’t feast on this beleaguered line, Carolina is really in trouble.”
▪ Bill Bender of the Sporting News is going with the Giants to win 20-19. Here’s why:
“The Giants average 11.7 points per game at home, and the Panthers have a -5 turnover ratio through a three-game losing streak,” he writes. “That makes this a true toss-up game that could be an eye-sore. Anything can happen at that point, even a New York home victory.”
▪ According to Pete Prisco of CBS Sports, it’s going to be a Giant upset, 19-16.
“The Panthers have lost three straight, while the Giants have lost their last two and have looked awful in doing so,” he writes. “But this is a good spot for the Giants to get back winning again. The Panthers have offensive issues of late and the Giants should be able to limit them. The problem is the Giants are banged up on offense, but I think they can do enough to pull this one out.”
▪ Pro Football Talk’s Michael David Smith and Mike Florio are both picking Carolina.
David Smith (Panthers 20-14): “Sam Darnold is coming back to earth after a hot start, but I still think the Panthers are the better top-to-bottom team here.”
Florio (Panthers 24-20): “It’s the Dave Gettleman Bowl. His former team is currently a little bit better than his former one.”
▪ Finally, over at College Football News, nine of the 10 experts are going with the Panthers, including our old friend Clucko The Chicken.