Noon Thursday, Dec. 9, is the deadline to appear in next week’s “Around Town” listing. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the number of submissions, events may run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: O’Fallon Progress Around Town, Belleville News-Democrat, P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Jennifer Green at 618-239-2643.
Thursday, Dec. 9
▪ National Alliance on Mental Illness Southwestern Illinois (NAMI SWI) — 7-8:30 p.m. Online via Zoom. Virtual support meetings for family members and other caregivers of individuals with mental illness. Meetings are peer-led and rely on the knowledge and experiences of the group to help one another. Registration is required in order to receive the link to these meetings. For more information or to register, contact Pat Rudloff at email@example.com.
▪ A Gospel Christmas with Oleta Adams — 7:30 p.m. Powell Hall, 718 N. Grand Blvd., St. Louis. Ring in the holiday season with gospel renditions of holiday favorites. Returning to Powell Hall, guest artist Oleta Adams joins your SLSO and IN UNISON Chorus, directed by Kevin McBeth, to share this soulful celebration sure to warm your heart. slso.org
Friday, Dec. 10
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4-7 p.m. Fridays. Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Traditional menu of cod available along with hamburgers, hot dogs, pork steaks and additional side dishes. Dine-in and carryout. Credit cards accepted. Orders can be called in at 618-632-6229.
▪ Shiloh Eagles Fish Fry — 5-7 p.m. Shiloh Eagles 545, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and sides. Full menu. Dine-in or carryout available. For carryout, call 618-624-5412.
Friday, Dec. 10, through Sunday, Dec. 12
▪ The Hett and State Street Dance Co. co-present ‘The Nutcracker’ — 6:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 10, and Saturday, Dec. 11, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12. The Hettenhausen Center for the Arts, 400 N. Alton St., Lebanon. The ballet classic returns to the Hett this Holiday Season! This timely holiday classic features local dance talent and principals from leading professional companies. thehett.com
Saturday, Dec. 11
▪ Rummage Sale — 7 a.m. to noon. Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. Men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, plus household items will be available for sale. In accordance to the current Illinois mandate, masks will be required, regardless of vaccination status.
▪ Holiday Hilltop 5K and Fun Run — 9 a.m. Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 205 Rasp St., Shiloh. This year’s beneficiary is Ford Kelly Braxmeier, who was born July 11, 2020, and was transferred to St. Louis Children’s Hospital where he was placed on a ventilator and diagnosed with Chronic Lung Disease. Proceeds from the event will assist the Braxmeier family with Ford’s past and future medical expenses. For information or to register: holidayhilltop.org.
▪ Tinsel Around Town — 9 a.m. Vine Street Market, O’Fallon Station, 212 E. First St., O’Fallon. Shop local and visit participating Downtown District businesses during their regular (and holiday) hours. Bring your families and stay for the Vine Street Winter Market with special events beginning at 3:30 p.m. facebook.com/events/419543339792889
▪ Vine Street Winter Market — 3:30-7:30 p.m. Vine Street Market, O’Fallon Station, 212 E. First St., O’Fallon. Winter Market is back and bigger with 50+ vendors, live music from Isaac Biver and Edwin Linson, two food trucks and carriage rides. Expect a mix of farmers market vendors with meats, cheeses, coffee, bread and prepared foods as well as a much larger selection of artisans. Mrs. Claus will read stories inside Avenue Realty, Polar Express will be read at the caboose downtown and the local OTHS Madrigals will be performing throughout downtown. facebook.com/events/1488767784834079
Saturday, Dec. 11, through Sunday, Dec. 12
▪ Live at Powell Hall: Disney’s ‘The Muppet Christmas Carol’ in Concert — 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12. Powell Hall, 718 N. Grand Blvd., St. Louis. Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, and all the beloved Muppets star in their adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic tale. Follow Ebenezer Scrooge’s transformation on the big screen through Christmases past, present, and future, while your SLSO performs the music live. There will be no “bah, humbugs” after this! slso.org.
Sunday, Dec. 12
▪ Winter 2021 Concert — 3 p.m. Sheldon Concert Hall, 3648 Washington Blvd., St. Louis. Showcasing the best young musicians in St. Louis, The Sheldon and HEAL Center for the Arts’ North County Big Band, led by Harvey Lockhart, and The Sheldon’s City of Music All-Star Chorus, led by Maria A. Ellis, provides students with invaluable skills that prepare them for their futures — no matter what their dreams may be. Free admission. Donations accepted at the door. thesheldon.org
Wednesday, Dec. 15
▪ O’Fallon Sunrise Rotary Meeting — 6:45 a.m. O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. 618-210-8156 or ofallonsunriserotary.org
Wednesday, Dec. 15, through Thursday, Dec. 16
▪ Mercy Holiday Celebration at Lindenwood — 7:30 p.m. both days. J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts, Lindenwood University, 2300 W. Clay St., St. Charles, Missouri. Check laughter and cheer off your holiday list at the SLSO’s Mercy Holiday Celebration. Sing along to your favorite holiday classics performed by the orchestra and Denzal Sinclaire, plus, enjoy a special visit from Santa Claus himself! This unforgettable experience will put you in the holiday spirit and show you why thousands of St. Louisans make this concert an annual tradition. slso.org
Other area happenings
▪ O’Fallon Woman’s Club ‘Just in Time for Christmas’ Gift Basket Raffle — Win one of eight gift baskets (including Cardinals baseball infield box seat tickets). Raffle tickets will be on sale until Tuesday, Dec. 14. The drawing till take plast a 1 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 16. To see the prizes and enter the raffle, visit go.rallyup.com/owcbasketraffle. Donations will benefit O’Fallon Woman’s Club. ofallonwomansclub.org