Twitter is about making news, information and content flow across the social web.
It is loved by politicians, often used badly by celebrities and is a bloggers best friend. Twitter is often misunderstood as it has a funny name, can be seen as trivial (only 140 characters) and only mono-media (text only).
Scratch its surface and start to dig deeper and Twitter’s true character starts to be revealed. It is nimble, efficient and it works well in a time poor society. It has developed multi-media capabilities and YouTube videos, images and even Slideshare presentations are viewable and can be embedded in the stream of tweets.
There are two basic principles that will help you get your tweets to be shared by your followers in large numbers.
- Quantity – Build a significant following on Twitter as bigger is better.
- Quality – Engage with your followers and build a loyal and fanatical fan base that will love to share your tweets.
Combine these two and you are well on the way to having your news, information and content retweeted widely at velocity.
So how do you get more retweets on Twitter?
10 top tips to get more retweets
There are some basic tips that will help you get your tweets retweeted more. Some are obvious and others may surprise you.
Here are some easy to implement tips on how to get more retweets.
- Ask for a retweet (eg. “Please ReTweet”)
- Tweet links
- Pick the right time of day (Tweet between 12-2)
- Leave room for a retweet (The sweet spot for a retweet is use between 71-100 characters)
- Use hashtags
- Include one of the top retweetable phrases
- Write a tempting headline
- Pick the right day of the week (Friday)
- Don’t make the tweet about you
- Tweet the latest news
Here is an infographic which puts the art of getting retweeted on Twitter in a visual format.
Infographic source: Visual.ly