C$ unless otherwise stated
TSX/NYSE/PSE: MFC SEHK: 945
TORONTO, May 14, 2019 /CNW/ - Manulife today released its 2018 Sustainability Report and Public Accountability Statement. The report highlights Manulife and John Hancock's initiatives that supported the economic, environmental and social well-being of customers, employees and communities throughout 2018.
"Our mission – decisions made easier, lives made better – is not just a tagline; it's part of our DNA," said Roy Gori, President & Chief Executive Officer, Manulife. "Our employees have a strong desire to make the world a better place and I am proud of how they are rallying together to integrate sustainability into our business, better support our customers and invest in the success of our communities."
Highlights from 2018
- We invested $1 billion in renewable energy and energy efficient projects and issued our second green bond.
- We made or helped raise $45 million in community investments and our employees and agents volunteered over 66,000 hours of service to make a difference in their local communities.
- We managed our real estate, timber and agricultural investments to the highest sustainability standards like the LEED and BOMA Best green building certifications, and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative forest management certification, for example.
- We exceeded the 30% Club gender balance goal for board seats; 42% of the independent members of our Board of Directors are women.
- We provided $10.2 billion in investments and loans to businesses, helping fuel their growth and support the development of local economies.
- We continue to help nearly 28 million customers live longer and healthier lives, protect what matters most to them, and manage their wealth.
- Behavioural insurance products like Manulife Vitality in Canada and John Hancock Vitality in the U.S., and ManulifeMOVE in Asia, are continually breaking new ground in helping improve people's physical well-being.
Manulife's Sustainability Report and Public Accountability Statement, which includes the Manulife Bank Public Accountability Statement, is available at https://www.manulife.com/content/dam/corporate/global/en/documents/pas/MFC_SR_PAS_2018.pdf.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of March 31, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$849 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
SOURCE Manulife Financial Corporation
View original content: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/May2019/14/c1731.html