She spoke via phone with the Iranian President yesterday, in advance of a meeting of the UK, France, Germany, and Iran in Brussels tomorrow. Over the weekend, US National Security Advisor John Bolton said that US sanctions on European companies that maintain business dealings with Iran were possible.
It remains to be seen if this threat will be upheld, which would be a further blow to US/European relations. EURUSD is higher at 1.1975, having risen as far as 1.19690 earlier. Elsewhere, Canadian PM Trudeau has said he is optimistic a NAFTA agreement can be reached. US Lawmakers want a deal by Thursday in order to give enough time to get it through Congress. USDCAD dropped to 1.27693 after closing at 1.27985 on Friday.
Canadian Unemployment Rate (Apr) was as expected, unchanged at 5.8%. Participation Rate (Apr) was 65.4% versus an expected 65.5%, against 65.5% prior. Net Change in Employment (Apr) was -1.1K versus an expected 17.4K, against a prior 32.3K. USDCAD moved up from 1.27321 to 1.27764 after this data release.
- Gary Cohn: “The World will Have a Global Cryptocurrency at Some Point”
- Ethereum: Commodity or Security: What’s the Difference?
- Bitcoin’s Lightning Network: How Can it Solve Bitcoin’s Biggest Problem
US Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index (May) was 98.8 versus an expected 98.5, against a previous 98.8. USDJPY rose from 109.256 to 109.328 following this data release.
Baker Hughes US Oil Rig Counts was released with a headline number of 844 from last week’s number of 834. As this number creeps higher, more and more rigs are coming into operation, increasing the supply of oil and adding downward pressure on prices. WTI Oil fell from $71.37 to $70.41 after this data release.
This article was written by FxPro
This article was originally posted on FX Empire
More From FXEMPIRE:
- Gold Gains Upper Hand As Dollar Loses Momentum
- Price of Gold Fundamental Daily Forecast – FOMC Mester says Inflation May Not Rise “Sharply”
- Gold defends the 1305 USD/oz but the style is not very convincing though
- NEO Technical Analysis –Sell-off Sees Support Levels Tested – 14/05/18
- Wheat Tumbles, Corn and Soybeans Follow
- USD/JPY Fundamental Daily Forecast – Treasury Yields Tick Higher Ahead of Key Auctions