We’re tracking the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus and vaccines in North Carolina. Check back for updates.
More than 2,600 cases added
At least 1,457,798 people in North Carolina have tested positive for the coronavirus, and at least 17,640 have died since March 2020, according to state health officials.
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday reported 2,610 new COVID-19 cases, up from 1,374 on Tuesday.
Sixty-five additional coronavirus-related deaths were reported Wednesday. Health officials don’t specify the specific dates for the newly reported deaths.
At least 1,811 people were reported hospitalized with COVID-19 as of Wednesday, including 498 adult patients who are being treated in intensive care units, health officials said.
On Monday, the latest date with available information, 6.5% of coronavirus tests were reported positive. Health officials say 5% or lower is the target rate to slow the spread of the virus.
Roughly 71% of adults in North Carolina have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, and about 66% have been fully vaccinated. State officials round vaccination numbers to the nearest whole number.
Attendance drops as State Fair returns
After COVID-19 canceled the N.C. State Fair in 2020, some are welcoming a return to social activities.
“I’m so happy to see people again,” Debbie Anderson said. “It’s a small sense of normalcy, but I’ll take what I can get.”
Five days in, the fair saw 60,000 fewer attendees than it did in 2019. Officials said some expected the drop as people avoid crowded areas due to the coronavirus.
So far, about 90 attendees have gotten vaccinated. Fairgoers aren’t required to be vaccinated or wear masks, but both precautions are encouraged, The News & Observer reported.
Wake schools could soon start voluntary COVID testing
Wake County schools on Tuesday shared a plan for voluntary COVID-19 testing on campuses where there are active or suspected clusters of cases.
After the district took time to launch a testing program, students and staff could be able to opt in by November.
The plan is three phases, and federal requirements mean unvaccinated workers would need to get tested by the last phase. Students participating in the program would have to get permission from parents, The News & Observer reported.
During a school board meeting, some speakers called for more to be done while others urged the district to not move forward with the program, citing the possibility that students will have to go into quarantine and miss school if cases are identified.
Also in the Triangle area district, administrators have canceled school on Nov. 12, citing coronavirus-related stresses. Those include safety measures and staffing shortages that affect how schools are running.
“Given vacancies, given what our staff has been going through covering for those vacancies, having time for our children to spend a little more time with their families, having our staff have a moment to reflect and to plan is appropriate during this time,” said Lindsay Mahaffey, vice chair of the school board.