Video Producer: Shohini Bose
Video Editor: Ashutosh Bharadwaj
Video Input: Anjana Dutta
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Tuesday, 27 July, announced that the state government will provide financial assistance of Rs 50 lakh each to families of the police personnel who died in the clashes along the border with Mizoram on Monday. He said that the Assam government will move the Supreme Court for land encroachment.
The injured will also be given Rs 1 lakh each, news agency ANI reported Sarma as saying.
According to sources, Union Home Secretary will hold a meeting with Chief Secretaries and senior officers of the two states on Wednesday at the North Block, ANI reported.
Five policemen were killed and over 50 members of the force were injured in the violent clashes that erupted around the Assam-Mizoram border on Monday, a press release issued by the Assam government states. According to PTI, one civilian was also killed, while officials said around 10 more were injured and admitted in hospitals.
Officials of both states, including Cachar Deputy Commissioner Keerthi Jalli, and Superintendent of Police Nimbalkar Vaibhav Chandrakant, are camping at trouble-torn Lailapur area in Assam's Cachar district, which borders Mizoram's Kolasib, as they try to calm down the situation.
As per a statement by Director General of Police CRPF Kuldiep Singh, the border area was peaceful on Tuesday.
"Assam Police has retreated from the disputed area while Mizoram Police continues to stay at their temporary posts. Four additional companies of CRPF have been sent to the disputed area as neutral forces," he said, ANI quoted.
Addressing a press conference, Sarma stressed that this was not a political issue but a boundary dispute between two states, and said that Assam has decided to move the Supreme Court over encroachment of land.
"This is a reserve forest area. With the help of satellite imaging, you can see how the encroachment has taken place. Assam government has also decided to move Supreme Court with a (law) suit over this," he said, reported ANI.
"I called Mizoram CM six times when firing was taking place. He said 'sorry' and invited me for talks in Aizawl. No one can take even an inch of our land. We're committed to securing our territory. Police are on the border," Sarma said, adding that an investigation is underway into the matter.
Further, he said that the Assam Government will raise three commando battalions in the bordering regions of Karimganj, Cachar and Hailakandi, and 3,000 personnel will be recruited for security reasons along the border, ANI reported.
Sarma Visits Injured Cops in Silchar
Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Sarma visited Silchar Medical College and Hospital to meet the police personnel who were injured in the Assam-Mizoram border clash that took place on Monday.
According to NDTV, Sarma as well as Mizoram Home Minister Lalchamliana will be visiting the border area on Tuesday.
The Assam government has announced 3-day state mourning as a mark of respect to those who lost their lives in border clashes, reported ANI.
CM Sarma on Tuesday directed doctors to ensure the best treatment to the injured police personnel and shift the seriously injured for better treatment on priority.
He also visited the Silchar SP office and paid tribute to the five policemen who were killed on Monday.
Congress Forms 7-Member Committee
The Congress has constituted a 7-member committee to visit Cachar and any other area to assess the Assam-Mizoram border dispute on the ground and the ensuing violence. The committee will be led by Assam Congress chief Bhupen Bora.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday condoled the deaths and took a swipe at Home Minister Amit Shah saying he has failed the country by sowing hatred and distrust into the lives of people.
"Heartfelt condolences to the families of those who've been killed. I hope the injured recover soon. HM (Home Minister) has failed the country yet again by sowing hatred and distrust into the lives of people. India is now reaping its dreadful consequences," he said in a tweet.
Deputy Leader of Congress in Lok Sabha, Gaurav Gogoi on Tuesday also demanded an enquiry into the incident, reported news agency ANI.
(With inputs from ANI, PTI and NDTV)
. Read more on India by The Quint.Assam Govt to Move SC After Border Clash, Give Rs 50 L Ex Gratia to Kin of DeadPorn Films Case: No Interim Bail for Raj Kundra, Hearing Adjourned . Read more on India by The Quint.